Wednesday, October 15, 2008

New Music Wednesday

A new segment to the HT blog!

Every Wednesday I will review an album that has recently been released. Today's selection:

Ray LaMontagne
Gossip in the Grain

The first track, 'You Are the Best Thing,' is very bluesy and rough and is probably my favorite so far. 'Let it Be Me' tugs on the heartstrings with its dramatic piano overtures emphasized by soft string sections. It segues nicely into 'Sarah,' and then Ray hits us with 'I Still Care for You' (which is a bit haunting) and 'Winter Birds' (which I enjoy the verses, but the chorus just doesn't fit for me). 'Meg White,' a tribute to the drummer of the White Stripes, is exactly what you think it would be. A banjo intro into 'Hey Me, Hey Mama,' immediately sucks me in and for some reason makes me hungry for biscuits (and mustard—hehe). 'Henry Nearly Killed Me (It's a Shame)' is my 2nd favorite (and may overtake the first) with its bluesy riffs and foot tapping score that leaves you wondering where the song will take you next. 'A Falling Through' and the title track close the album with slow and emotion-driven ballads.

I must admit that I have a bit of trouble deciphering the lyrics on some of his tunes, though it could be the number of distractions here at work…probably should be working instead of playing, eh? Nah…

3.5 out of 5 stars.

Fine holiday fun!

0 comments: